COURSES / MASTERCLASS
Black & White: Islamic
Perspectives on Race & Culture
Sunday, 31 Jul 2022
2pm – 5pm
Ustaz Taufiq bin Radja Nurul Bahri
here are two matters that are important concerning race and culture.
First, the unfortunate reality that racism continues to exist covertly. Sadly, covert racism is practiced and expressed within our own family members and close friends. They brush off racist comments as simply jokes.
In the Sirah of the Prophet Muhammad ﷺ, while the Prophet ﷺ have wrestled and dismantled systemic and structural racism, implicit racism continued to be practiced by some in the community. Bilal, after being freed and honoured by the Prophet ﷺ, continued to experience racial injustice in some instances.
Second, while standing against racism, some have forgotten that being proud of one’s own culture and heritage is praiseworthy and required. Tradition provides us a sense of identity. They connect generations and strengthen our group bonds, and help us feel that we are part of something unique and special. Alas… not all traditional beliefs and practices are sound.
• Causes and types of racism
• Prophet Muhammad’s ﷺ methodology in tackling racism
• Perspectives on culture in Islam
• Case study: Traditional practices and beliefs of the Malay world
1. Concessions are valid for full-time students, NSFs, senior citizens aged above 65, the unwaged, people of disabilities and those require financial aid. If you need a full concession, please register and reply to the registration email that you would like to request for a full concession.
2. Payments (to be made after registering) of any amount may with the following methods:
Bank transfer to DBS digital/current bank account no. 003-954778-1 or PayNow to UEN no. T13LL2451C. Reference ‘MasterClass‘ during the transaction.
3. Students are required to complete payment of fees within 48 hours after online registration. Registration will only be confirmed upon completion of payment. Please email us for payment extension.
4. Instalment plan available. You may drop us an e-mail (email@example.com) to request for an instalment payment plan after registering.
Upon registration, you will receive an automated email with details for bank transfer. Please do so immediately to confirm you registration. If you did not receive the email, do allow 3-5 minutes and check your Spam/Junk folder. You may email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you did not receive any email.
If the registration option displays ‘Expired’, please email your registration details (name, contact no. and type of fees) to email@example.com.